Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Big Sister Blues

So a child that I have in AWANAS has recently become a big sister! So exciting! However, being an only child for roughly 8 years has gotten her used to being the center of attention. But now...dun dun dun...enter the new baby brother! At first she was fine, proudly proclaiming her big sister status but after 6 months, I can see the bitter baby brother big sister blues coming out. So when she said something to me about it this past Sunday, we had a little sit down and chat meeting.

Here's what I told her:
1) Mommy and Daddy don't love the new baby more than you. They love you both equally.
2)Mommy and Daddy have to pay extra attention to the new baby because babies have to be taken care fo more than big kids.
3) If you feel left out, ask your Mommy if you can help with the baby.
4) You are not a baby. You are a big girl and you can do lots of things your baby brother can't. Your Mommy and Daddy take you to all your activities and stay with you through all of them, so they are definitely still paying attention to you.
5) Lastly, you can show your Mommy and Daddy what a big girl you are by doing things without being asked and helping them by not complaining when things don't go your way. That will be a big help to them and you will be showing them that you are not a baby and can be a big girl. (Sometimes I fail to follow my own advice >.>)

All in all I think the conversation went well. But yeah, I wonder if there's anything more I can say in the future...I mean I'm a walking talking dictionary of cliches...Do you have something you say to the big sibling when the get the baby blues? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment