Friday, December 14, 2012

Christmas, Coins, and The Polar Express


So today was Polar Express day. But first: The REAL Christmas story.

E.L. doesn't like to read, I've mentioned that before. But most of the time, once he's settled down he'll allow someone to read to him. Today I read him the Christmas story, stopping every few verses for commentary. I must stop, though and say this:

God is amazing. Really He just is. I can't even begin to express the joy I feel when reading the story of Christ's birth. From the moment He was born, He was destined to die...and that just blows my mind. I am so in love with God when I read what He did for me. Because if it had been up to me, if I'd only one son in the world, I wouldn't be able to do what He did. But I'm human, and He's God.

Anyway, we read The Story. Some parts, E.L. couldn't quite understand. Especially when I explained that Jesus was put in a feeding trough (I believe my words were: food bucket) but overall I think he really liked it.

Then we ate lunch: Chicken nuggets. And we played on Club Penguin. Club Penguin has a charity ever Christmas where kids donate virtual coins to help real charities around the world. I talked to E.L. about kids around the world and even nearby that don't always get Christmas presents. They may not get to go to school. They may not have enough to eat, and they may not even have a place to sleep at night. When it all sank in he was set and ready to donate his coins. He was really proud of himself as he donated coins to build safe places, provide medical help, and protect the earth.

Here's a quote from last year's coins for change:



As a result of Coins For Change 2011, Disney Online Studios will donate


$640,000 USD to fund medical clinics, health care, surgical treatments and nutrition programs.

$620,000 USD for schools, libraries, playgrounds, education programs and support, and a group home.

$740,000 USD to support wetlands, rainforests and wildlife conservation programs.


Pretty cool, huh?

Now, for the main event: The Polar Express! I LOVE The Polar Express! Absolutely LOVE it! From the time I was in Kindergarten it has been a personal tradition to read The Polar Express at Christmas time. And when the movie came out? Well of course I watched it!

When E.L.'s Mom gave me an itunes card for my birthday it sat in my account for a month until this week when I bought The Polar Express movie! Yay! A worthy investment I'm sure.

As always the fort went up in his bunk bed and we made a snack mix of sorts from mini marshmallows, m&ms and rainbow goldfish. Hot Chocolate was also had! (cups with lids, cups with lids)

Of course I’ve seen it a million times and could quote the movie by heart. E.L. has also seen it once but he still enjoyed it and had a lot of fun watching it. If you haven't watched The Polar Express movie (or read the book for that matter) then there's no time like the present!





No comments:

Post a Comment