Saturday, December 29, 2012

Boys will be boys...

Or so I've heard. I have to admit I don't have nearly as much drama with boys as I do with girls. Thursday I sat for E.L. and we started out playing a video game that he got for Christmas. He didn't want to stop but just as I was about to put my foot down, the game did it for me when the extension doohickey thing (real technical...) ran out of batteries. Hehe. "Aww what a shame, guess we'll have to wait for your Mom to get home to replace the batteries!...Do it myself? Oh no I don't think I should mess with it...yeah I know guess we'll have to wait til next time." ^__^

I took E.L. to eat at a resaurant. On our way out of the house we saw some friends of his from the neighborhood. I asked who they were and he just got...sour. E.L. is always hyper. I cn handle hyper. But throughout the ride to the restaurant and through the meal he had a horrible attitude! E.L. never has an attitude! Where'd that come from? Everything I said to him seemed to be offensive. The same food he always gets was messed up in some way and he pouted and whined through the meal. So I told him we weren't moving til he told me what was up.

Turns out one of those kids isn't so friendly to him. In fact I'd go on to say he's somewhat of a bully sometimes. Again no details because I basically promised confidentiality. However when we got home, E.L. wanted to go play with his friends. Guess who was there? I actually had a good talk with this kid while E.L. played with the younger of the two. and he more or less told me how it is for him at school. The pattern is obvious. He gets teased at school, he comes home and channels it to someone else. I sat there on a bench while they played and aside from one little comment that I quickly nipped in the bud, everything went smoothly. Still it's something to watch out for. That particular child went back inside after about twenty minutes.

I've learned from my own bullied history that most bullies have their own set of problems. Kids just aren't naturally bad. There's always a cause for bad behavior. Just like E.L.'s pent up anger at this kid caused him to have an attitude. Just like that child's pent up anger from being picked on at school comes out at another in his neighborhood. It's sad but that's how it's always been. It's the way of human nature. But that doesn't make it right. It's not my business, but that's never stopped me from having an opinion :) That's just my own take on it but enough of that.

After they played for an hour or two I could see both of their faces turning pink from the cold. (It wasn't bad but it was chilly.) So I told E.L. we had to go home and the other boys went back to their house. It worked out because as soon as he'd gotten settled in a chair his Mother came home. She's aware of the situation of course and that alone made me feel better.  I love taking care of E.L. and I think he's an awesome kid. Next week he's going to be with me during my college orientation. I actually think he'll get a kick out of 'being at college' and I'll be sure to pump him up. Goodness knows I'm already jumping out of my seat from excitement myself.

That's all for now, God bless you all and have a great New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment