Saturday, December 1, 2012

AWANAS, Children's Choir, and Youth

Today we had the Children's musical at my church. One of the girls had a solo that she was having a little trouble with and I had been helping her out. I'm happy to say she did wonderfully. All of the kids did. During this time, I've really learned a lot about some of the children in our church. I pray every day that they are led to follow God in all they do. I have to say the very reason I have chosen to stay at my church is for the sake of the kids there. They are so impressionable and I worry about anything that might hinder their spiritual growth. It may sound silly but I love each and every child that comes through the doors of our church.

At AWANAS we had a new child join us! It was great watching all the kids immediately accept him. So far in the Children's ministry I haven't noticed any real division among the kids. Generally that's how it seems to go. In the youth group, however, so many students feel like they don't belong.

I stood up in a church meeting and spoke my mind about a few things I'd been feeling about a month ago. It takes a lot for me to do that but I knew I had to say something. I was bullied in church as a middle schooler and even into high school. The girls in my youth group felt like they were better than me and wanted little to do with me except to make fun of my appearance, lack of social skills, etc. and now, when I look at the youth group it pains me to see history repeating itself. I've talked to several different teens in the youth group who ALL feel like the other students judge them! I know how easy it is to judge someone. It would be a lie for anyone to say they haven't been judgemental at one time or another. It is HARD work to keep thos judgemental thoughts out of our heads and even harder to keep them out of our actions! All it takes is one ugly glance or one sneer to make someone feel like they don't belong. It's so EASY to hurt people who already have doubts about their self worth and let's face it. I don't know many teens who DON'T have doubts.

That's all for now. I am proud of the children for how well they did in their musical and the youth will also be a part of the adult musical in two weeks. It will be awesome!

Praise God for my church and my family, praise Him for these children for theirs is surely the kingdom of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment