Friday, November 16, 2012

Stand Back. I'm gonna do SCIENCE!

So today was quite a doozy! We started out watching a tv episode. Beyblade once again! Then we prcoceeded with...SCIENCE!!!

EL was actually really excited once we got started. We started out in the kitchen with a bottle of vinegar, add baking soda, swooosh! a volcano! He was all ready to add colors, wanting to see what would happen if we put in ALL the colors! Answer: A big dark mess...ew.

Then...we went outside. This was supposed to go way bigger and way better. I was all prepared for the sticky, messy, geyser that is the result of coke and mentos. My mistake: dollar tree coke and a faulty tube.
I kept telling E.L. "Stand back!" and then I TRIED to drop in the mentos using a rolled up paper. Now the generic coke was already doing next to nothing but some mentos got stuck in the paper tube and our outside geyser amounted to nothing more than our 'in the sink' volcano. Boo. Luckily though, I had backup.  quickly unwrapped behind my back (not an easy feat, mind you) my secret weapon. I then attacked with a can of silly string and then, in an effort to get his revenge, he wrestled the can from me (I pretty much tossed it to him) and then came after me until there was absolutely no more in the can.

As always, cleanup is a priority. E.L. has this issue with anything sticky/slimy/ooey gooey so picking up the silly string AND the mento coke remains was not his cup of tea. Still we managed to clean everything up and get back inside. He insisted we make a fort again and watch a movie. So we did.

I've relented from my original strict electronics rule because Eric has reintroduced me to Club Penguin! He loves it and we generally 'waddle around' for about an hour. I used to play CP when I was younger but for the life of me I can't figure out my old info. So at EL's request I made a new Penguin.


If you're not a member on CP, the only thing you can really do is sample what the members get to do. So there it is, I have a penguin. I doubt I'll do anything with it but don't tell EL that! 

I seem to have a hard time getting EL to eat anything. He loves mac and cheese but only ate half of his little pack of easy mac and I nearly had to force him to eat the rest. He's very picky but I think most of the problem is that he wants to play this game on his ipad instead of eating. I'm seriously considering hiding that thing.

So that's about it. We took pictures of our science expirements but since he is in most of them, I won't be posting them. I've got to become more organized in planning. I don't mind him playing on his ipad or watching movies. But the main reason EL's mom has me sitting is so that he doesn't spend the whole day on his ipad. Next week, I have a fairly solid plan which I will tell you about, later ;)

EDIT: I completely forgot about the crayon melting art! We spent the last bit of time we had melting crayons on canvas. EL's patience was wearing thin, waiting for the crayons to melt with the hairdryer, so I pulled out the big guns, the long handled lighter. Long story short, instead of that rainbow of color you see on pinteerest we had swirly colors mixed with gray. In an effort to artsy it up, I melted EL's name onto canvas in bright colors. It looks alright. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment